Civilization - The Original Board Game
- Modern-classic strategy game
- Guide your civilisation through the ages and compete for advancement
- Not simply a war game - there is much more complexity
- From the dawn of history to 250BC - will you lead your people successfully?
- Instructions included for both the full game and shorter versions
- Language of Rules/Instructions: English
- For ages: 12+
- Number of players: 2 - 7
- Average game time: 2 hours
From celebrated British board game designer, Francis Tresham, Civilization is a modern-classic game of skill and strategy for 2-7 players. The game has a huge following and is widely regarded as the finest game based on ancient civilisations.
In the game, each player leads a nation of peoples over a map of the Mediterranean and the Near East as they seek to prosper and advance their culture and civilisation. Players compete to guide their people through the ages, expanding their empire over time. Although battles and territorial strategy are important, this is not just a war game. Instead, the objective is to gain a level of overall advancement involving cultural, economic and political factors so that conflicts arise due to rivalry and land shortage rather than a desire to simply eliminate other players.
A modern-classic from the 80s, Civilization is widely thought to be the first game ever to incorporate a "technology tree". Now commonplace in board games and video games, this feature allows players to gain certain items or abilities only by first acquiring other corresponding items.
Contents: game board, 7 sets of playing pieces (each comprising 56 population tokens, 12 cities & 4 ships), 7 player mats, 74 trade & calamity cards, 72 civilization cards, rule book.
Contains small parts. Unsuitable for children under 36 months.